Sunday, October 26, 2014

To My Little Sisters

This week was una locura - crazyness.  14 missionaries finished their mission, while 18 just started. I have found more time this week to study! It is the difference between good and great missionaries - their studies. It is also surprising to me how effective I am working if I study first.

I remember learning this at CALPOLY. I didn't use the help of the Lord as much as I should have but I learning something really important. "Y por el poder del Espíritu Santo, [podemos] conocer la verdad de todas las cosas." The promise in this scripture is not "you can know everything pertaining to the kingdom of God." not "through the holy ghost you can get only a testimony" - no.  The promise is we can "conocer la verdad" - know personally (like a friend or a loved one) "la verdad" - the truth "de todas las cosas" OF ALL THINGS. Math. Science. English. Spanish. Chem. Accounting. Choir. Piano. Health. Life. Places. People. EVERYTHING! ALL THINGS.

But what do we need to do to receive this "don o bendición" - gift o blessing from our heavenly father? President Uchtdorf gave us the perfect formula that is also found in Moroni 10:3-5

"First, you must search the word of God. That means reading the scriptures and studying the words of the ancient as well as modern prophets regarding the restored gospel of Jesus Christ—not with an intent to doubt or criticize but with a sincere desire to discover truth. Ponder upon the things you will feel, and prepare your minds to receive the truth.6 “Even if ye can no more than desire to believe, let this desire work in you … that ye can give place for [the word of God].”

Second, you must consider, ponder, fearlessly strive to believe,8 and be grateful for how merciful the Lord has been to His children from the time of Adam to our day by providing prophets, seers, and revelators to lead His Church and help us find the way back to Him.

Third, you must ask your Heavenly Father, in the name of His Son, Jesus Christ, to manifest the truth of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints unto you. Ask with a sincere heart and with real intent, having faith in Christ.

There is also a fourth step, given to us by the Savior: “If any man will do [God’s] will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.” In other words, when you are trying to verify the truth of gospel principles, you must first live them.  Put gospel doctrine and Church teachings to the test in your own life. Do it with real intent and enduring faith in God.
If you will do these things, you have a promise from God—who is bound by His word—that He will manifest the truth to you by the power of the Holy Ghost. He will grant you greater light that will allow you to look through the darkness and witness unimaginably glorious vistas incomprehensible to mortal sight."

Natalie and Savannah, I promise you from personal experience, as your brother and as a representative of the Lord Jesus Christ, if you will study the scriptures and words of the prophets every day the Lord will reveal the truths found in Science, Math, Language, and other areas of academics unto you "por el poder del Espíritu Santo"

Little Sisters, I know this to be true. I promise you with all of my energy, love, and testimony that the Lord inspires those who seek his inspiration. My studies have changed the way I work as a secretary and will change the way I work for the rest of my life.

I love you both very very very very very very very very much.

1 comment:

  1. What a remarkable testimony and sermon. Each letter should be published and for sure kept in a file. We are so grateful for Devin and will follow his example. Love

    ReplyDelete