Monday, January 4, 2016

"Don't Cry For Me Argentina"

Hello Family!
Happy New Year! So this week’s Testimony Meeting had some very similar testimonies… 4 or 5 mentioned that they received a watermelon from “angels”… All of the rest of the members who received watermelons realized that they got watermelons from the same “angels” so after sacrament meeting, people stopped us in the hall and said “I KNEW IT WAS YOU GUYS!”… I didn’t really like all of the ward finding out that we gave watermelons to everyone… big scale surprises don’t stay surprises for very long… Not much you can do. I did, however, appreciate hearing that it made their Christmases brighter and that some of them were really in need for a spiritual pick me up. One lady said she opened the door, and before she even knew who it was from, started to cry (I thought Mom and this lady would be best friends) and just felt really grateful in her heart (yes… sounds like mom). 

Tomorrow, we have a Mission Leaders Counsel with all of the Zone Leaders and Sister Training Leaders in the mission. I always over think everything and get stressed out before hand for things like this… But then tomorrow it just feels like another normal day. I’ll be giving a training on “Personal Revelation through Prayer” and “Personal Revelation through the Book of Mormón”.

My Peruvian companion is trying to learn more English. He keeps repeating the line "Don't cry for me Argentina" all day long.... mercy...

I was reading the Liahona from November (we received it last week… “Don’t cry for me Argentina”) and the Insert about Elder Scott. He was the Mission President for the Argentina North Mission (my mission is only a part of what his mission was then). He related a funny story about his Assistants and how they messed up one time. I found comfort in the fact that I am not alone.
“Serving in Argentina, President Richard G. Scott was an efficient but compassionate mission president. One of his missionaries, Wayne Gardner, remembers having to make arrangements for a missionary conference located far from the mission home and being responsible to pick up President Scott from the airport. At the last minute, the building Elder Gardner had scheduled for the conference became unavailable. Then he and his companion were late getting to the airport to pick up President Scott. They also forgot to tell the taxi driver to wait for them and there were no other taxis, so they were stranded.
“Even though I could see frustration in the president’s eyes,” Elder Gardner recalls, “he put his arm around me and told me he loved me. He was so patient and understanding. I hope I never forget that lesson.”

As far as reading the Book of Mormon goes… Do It.
Don’t make excuses for not reading the Most Important Book we can ever occupy our time with.

Have a great week Family!


Élder Hampton | Misión Argentina Salta

No comments:

Post a Comment